WELCOME TO BOBBINGTON
IN THE COUNTY OF sTAFFORDSHIRE

Home

History Village
Organisations
Parish
Council
Local
Businesses
News and
Events
Pictures
'N' Stuff
Have
Your Say
Guest
Book
Directory Contact
Us
Feedback

You are visitor number

hit counters
hit counter
Bobbington is a village and civil parish in the South Staffordshire district of Staffordshire, England, about five miles west of Wombourne. The ancient parish of Bobbington was mentioned in the Domesday Book when the population was recorded as 12.  According to the 2001 census it had a population of 506.

Bobbington is just on the county border with Shropshire (to the west), and is about eight miles east of Bridgnorth in Shropshire.

It is only about five miles west of the border with West Midlands, and during World War II was home to Bobbington airfield, renamed during the war as Halfpenny Green, and now known as Wolverhampton Business Airport.

In recent years Bobbington has seen favour in the commuter culture being roughly equidistant from many of the regions business centres Wolverhampton (9.5 miles) Dudley (9.4. miles), Stourbridge (10.5 miles) and Bridgnorth (8.6 miles).

Bobbington, meaning the tun of Bubba’s people, was probably the site of the present village where there was a church by the 13th-century, and the area lay in the Kinver forest. 

A school was established at White Cross, north east of the village, in 1792 by Hannah and Mary Corbett of Blakelands for 20 boys and 12 girls between the ages of 8 and 15, they were to be chosen from amongst the poorest in the parish. 

In 1896 the school, known as the Free School of Hannah and Mary Corbett, or White Cross School, became a public elementary school with the endowment income benefiting the pupils. 

In 1941 the Air Ministry opened an airfield at Halfpenny Green for use as a training station and buildings near the edge of the airfield were demolished, notably the timber-framed Gospel Ash Farm at the southern end and then the school buildings at White Cross.  A new school was eventually built next to the Village Hall.

Bobbington Holy Cross Church

 
 

Bobbington is a small rural parish predominantly agricultural in character.

With a population of less than 550 it supports a village school, 3 public houses, a Grade II* listed church, a Methodist chapel, a village Hall, Country House Hotel and a Community Post Office.
Footnote: The Methodist chapel is now closed.
 

Also within the parish is a commercial vineyard and winery, garden nurseries, and a local airfield engaged in business, training and recreational flying. 

The parish contains several houses of historical interest including Bobbington Hall, Blakelands, Bobbington House, and Leaton Hall.

 

Gospel Ash Methodist Church

Highgate Common, recently awarded SSSI status, fringes the parish boundary and supports a nationally important assemblage of invertebrates chiefly associated with free-draining grassland, heathland, scrub and woodland edge habitats. This includes a nationally important assemblage of bees, wasps and ants.

It is a diverse habitat comprising mainly of heathland, of which heather is the most dominant plant, and woodland with occasional ponds and bogs, over hilly and often rough terrain.

 Highgate Common has 140 species of Fauna of which 36 are rare either nationally or regionally, 82 species of invertebrate 20 of which are regionally scarce and 51 are nationally scarce and 14 heathland specialist species.

It has a large number of walks and several car parks.

Highgate Common

 
   

Home

History Village
Organisations
Parish
Council
Local
Businesses
News and
Events
Pictures
'N' Stuff
Have
Your Say
Guest
Book
Directory Contact
Us
Feedback

Every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained within this website is accurate. If you find any inaccuracies, please inform the Bobbington Webmaster and we will endeavor to correct the information as soon as possible.
Chipmonk Computing Ltd will not be held responsible for any loss incurred as at result of this, nor for any use to which the information may be put.

Chipmonk computing Logo Designed and created by Chipmonk Computing Ltd