WELCOME TO BOBBINGTON
IN THE COUNTY OF sTAFFORDSHIRE

Home

History Village
Organisations
Parish
Council
Local
Businesses
News and
Events
Pictures
'N' Stuff
Have
Your Say
Guest
Book
Directory Contact
Us
Feedback
 
Blakelands
 

1500 to 1600 - A Cottage at Blakelands is known of from the mid 1500's. A farmhouse of some note as it is known to have been two storey. Wall paintings discovered on the first floor date the cottage to this time.
The original part of the cottage still forms the main house kitchen today.

1638 - Roger Corbett bought the farmhouse.

1700 - Edward Corbett, son of Roger married Mary and the house was extended from a cottage to a square adding the Main Hall.

1720 - Blakelands was extended to its current size & shape with the addition of the
Northern Wing and Queen Anne Façade. Edward & Mary had 3 children, the two spinster sisters, Hannah & Mary later founded the village school, which despite moving from its original position following an aircraft accident is still open today, helped by the original Trust set up by the Corbett Sisters.
 

1799 - The House passed from the sisters to John Charles Beckingham, a Lawyer & Clergyman from London. He was the son of their cousin Catherine Beckingham.

1801 - Sherrington Sparks, a prominent farmer of Bridgnorth bought Blakelands.

1802 - The house and lands, some 200 acres including the Royal Oak Public House are bought by Thomas Bowen, a Malster. His family are to reside her for nearly 150 years.

1939 - Bobbington Airfield was built by the Air Ministry, who acquired some of its land from Blakelands.

1924
- The Royal Oak public house was sold off from the estate to Banks's Brewery.

1947
- Dr Leonard Harvey Eunson buys Blakelands as his country Home. His practise was at Dudley Port in Tipton. - The Black Country.

1956 - Charles Percival Bolland buys the house less 45 acres at auction for £12,000. The 45 acres are obtained by the Air Ministry.

1958 - Edward Bolland sells the house and 4.5 acres to Norman Holland. A Dental Surgeon from Wolverhampton.

 


1981
- John & Doreen Morgan buy Blakelands from Mr Holland as the family home for themselves and their sons Paul, David & Daniel & Johns father Sam Morgan. Sam was a retired Coal merchant from Tipton. - The Black Country.

1992 - Blakelands Restaurant opens on the 31st October along with three bedrooms in the main house available for accommodation.

1995 - The former Coach House is converted for guest accommodation and opens to add 5 extra bedrooms.

1998 - Blakelands Lodge, formally Blakelands Barn, to the north of Blakelands is purchased and opens, initially providing 4 additional bedrooms all named after Blakelands former Owners, Thomas Bowen, Charles Beckingham, Sherrington Sparks and Dr Eunson.

2000 - ? The Saga Continues - Visit http://blakelands.co.uk/

 
Back To Bobbington History
 

Home

History Village
Organisations
Parish
Council
Local
Businesses
News and
Events
Pictures
'N' Stuff
Have
Your Say
Guest
Book
Directory Contact
Us
Feedback

Every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained within this website is accurate. If you find any inaccuracies, please inform the Bobbington Webmaster and we will endeavor to correct the information as soon as possible.
Chipmonk Computing will not be held responsible for any loss incurred as at result of this, nor for any use to which the information may be put.

Chipmonk computing Logo Designed and created by Chipmonk Computing